Psoriasis is characterized by scaly, itchy patches that commonly develop on the elbows, trunk, knees, and scalp. If you’re living with psoriasis, you know exactly how annoying and uncomfortable this stubborn condition can be.
Though there are several types of psoriasis, our practice typically encounters the most common – plaque psoriasis. While there isn’t a cure, there are more options than ever to manage this skin condition. If you’re looking for innovative psoriasis treatments, read on to learn more, or call 310-659-9075 to contact our board-certified dermatologist in Los Angeles, California.
What Causes Psoriasis?
The exact cause of psoriasis isn’t known, but it’s thought to be an immune system condition that causes your skin cells to grow faster than normal. Both genetics and environmental factors are believed to play a role.
Psoriasis does have several triggers that can cause flare-ups. These include:
- Cold, dry weather
- Alcohol consumption
- Certain medications like lithium and some high blood pressure drugs
- Injuries to your skin like cuts, scrapes, or bug bites
Avoiding your psoriasis triggers is the first step to finding a treatment plan that works.
What Are the Best Treatments for Psoriasis?
While new psoriasis treatments are better than ever, our practice might need to try a few different options to find one that works for you.
The three main treatment options for psoriasis are:
- Topical treatments: We typically start with topical treatments for mild to moderate psoriasis. Emollients (moisturizing creams), vitamin D analogs, calcineurin inhibitors, and topical corticosteroids may be prescribed.
- Phototherapy: Artificial light therapy can effectively treat many cases of psoriasis that are unresponsive to topical creams or ointments. UVB and PUVA wavelengths are typically used.
- Systemic treatments: Oral or injectable medications can be prescribed if your psoriasis doesn’t improve with other therapies. Systemic treatments address your psoriasis from the inside out.
Depending on the severity of your psoriasis, our providers might recommend a combination of several therapies.
Book Your Los Angeles Psoriasis Treatment Consultation
Psoriasis can be an irritating condition to live with, but proper treatment can reduce your flares and minimize discomfort. As a board-certified dermatologist with more than 30 years of experience, Dr. Brian Mekelburg has helped countless patients effectively tackle their psoriasis. If you’re ready to stop the scales and eradicate the itch, contact our Los Angeles, California dermatology practice at 310-659-9075.