Rosacea is a common condition that affects millions of people each year. Although harmless, it can cause some self-consciousness or embarrassment when people ask, “Why is your face so red?”
Rosacea can be caused by skin irritants, allergies, sun exposure, weather, and spicy foods. The exact cause is unknown, but patients can take steps to manage their triggers and manage them to reduce flare-ups.
Common Rosacea Triggers
Ask someone with rosacea what causes their condition, and they’ll likely be able to notice a pattern. Some find that their symptoms worsen in certain temperatures, like hot summers or cold winters. Others realize spicy foods, coffee, or alcohol tend to trigger redness in the face.
For other patients, sun exposure is a major trigger, and having a sunburn can dramatically increase the prevalence of their rosacea.
5 Tips for Managing Your Rosacea Triggers
- Keep a log of your triggers, so you can identify patterns and avoid inflammation more easily.
- Check how your skin reacts to common rosacea triggers, like coffee and alcohol.
- Use gentle skin cleansers recommended by a dermatologist.
- Avoid makeup with parabens, dimethicone, talc, and bismuth; choose mineral makeup instead.
- Keep stress low with meditation, mindfulness, and other relaxation techniques.
Get Professional Rosacea Treatment in Los Angeles
Dr. Brian Mekelburg understands how frustrating it can be to deal with rosacea. If you’re looking for treatment, he can help. Whether it’s oral antibiotics, topicals, or another treatment, he can recommend the right solutions to help keep your rosacea manageable.
Request an appointment today by submitting a form or calling (310) 659-9075.